4.1.2. Voluntary acknowledgement of paternity

General information

In case the parents were not married when the child was born a voluntary acknowledgment of paternity is necessary for the registration of birth in Hungary. Voluntary acknowledgment of paternity can also be done before the birth of the child. You can download the necessary forms at the bottom of the page.

How to apply

In order to submit the application you have to come in person to the consulate for your appointment. Appointments can be booked by email to consulate.del@mfa.gov.hu .

For information about the fees please visit the following link on our website: “Consular fees”.

Requirements for the procedure

• Both parents should be present;

• Both parents should present their valid passports or ID cards. In case of third country nationals only passport is acceptable! Please note that photocopies are not acceptable! You should present your original ID card/passport;

• The original birth certificate of the child. It should be lodges with Apostille or diplomatic legalization.

• Filled out form in 1 copy (to download and print the form please scroll down). Please do not sign the form prior to the appointment, just make sure that all the relevant field are properly filled out with blue ink.

• Consular fee should be paid only by card.

• If the mother’s marital status is divorced the divorce should be verified with a marriage certificate or a court order. The documents should be lodged with Apostille or diplomatic legalization.

Further requirements for parents under 18
If the parents of the child are under 18 the legal representatives should appear in person at the Consulate. For the validity of the voluntary acknowledgment of paternity the father should be at least 16 years older than his child.


Form to be downloaded: